Friday, March 8, 2013

Easy Beets- Love them! Busy Life- Love it too!

It's been too long! I manage to post a bit on weekends but barely at all during the week. Here's why: 

1.) I've started a new graduate course that is already more time intensive than the last one. 

2.) First grade is getting quite busy with testing and parent-teacher conferences coming up. 

3.) I signed up for the Crossfit Open. I'm having trouble remembering why I decided to join a competition that I will clearly suck at. Oh that's right, I was still high from the adrenaline of the Women's WOD Jam. So I'm trying to train better and actually work on my weaknesses. Which is not my favorite. I tend to really dislike anything I'm bad at. Like golf, I hate golf. Partially because I'm terrible, but mostly because golf sucks.

4.) Indian Creek is in 2 weeks!!!! My climber friends and I will be spending a week in the creek for spring break. I'm super psyched because it's the Creek! Stunning, red splitter hand cracks in every direction. This climber's paradise is about an hour from Moab, Utah. The climbing is unique and always kicks my butt. I'm pumped, because thanks to Crossfit, I'm stronger than I've ever been. But I haven't been on real rock since November! So I've got 2 weeks to get back in the climbing gym, work on my forearm strength and get my lead head together. Should of thought about this a couple weeks ago. Procrastination, I love to do it, but hate what it does to me. 

5.) I have a new friend in my life. More to come on him later.

Now for Beets: I discovered beets when I joined Door to Door Organics, 2 years ago. I fell in love. This is my favorite way to cook beets. They taste way better this way than steamed. They retain way may of their nutrition. And it's way easy.

Roasted Beets

- Preheat oven to 375
- Wash well and chop off the ends (Use the greens like kale, chard or mustard greens)
- No need to peel or poke with a knife
- Wrap in aluminum foil
- Bake for 40-60 minutes, depending on the size of your beets
- Check by poking a knife through the foil. If there's no resistance to the center, they're done.
- Set aside to cool, then unwrap (Careful Hot!)
- Once cool enough to touch- Use your fingers to simply rub the skin right off. It comes off very easily.

I keep mine in the fridge for a week and put them in salads, smoothies, with eggs, with baked yams, or just enjoy alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment