Sam and I spent the weekend ice climbing with friends. Also included was plenty of indulgent food, like lasagna, apple crisp with ice cream, Twix bars and some amazing anchovy pizza at a local saloon. Despite all that, I probably lost a pound or two this weekend because ice climbing is so hard! It doesn’t help that I’m pretty bad at it, so it takes an exurbanite amount of effort for me to hack and kick my way to the top. Sam, on the other hand, has become an incredibly strong, efficient ice climber. Here are some pictures of Sam crushing the mixed line (rock and ice). I’m so proud!
Between climbs I snacked on this granola I recently made. It’s a great energy food for a day of ice climbing or a perfect small meal before 6am Crossfit.
Grain Free Pumpkin Granola Recipe
3/4 C organic pumpkin
1/4 C coconut oil, melted
1/4 C honey or agave
1 T maple syrup (optional)
1/3 C Cashews (my favorite part)
1/3 C pecans, chopped
1/4 C Chia seeds
1/2 C pumpkin seeds
5-8 dried dates, pits removed and chopped
1/4 C dried cherries, chopped
1/2 C protein powder of your choice (I like RAW Protein by Garden of Life- vegan)
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon ginger
1 t vanilla
Dash of salt
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees & spread parchment paper on 2 baking sheets.
2. Combine pumpkin, oil, honey, maple syrup, vanilla and all the spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt and mix well.
3. Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.
4. Spread granola mixture on two baking sheets.
5. Bake for 35-45 minutes, flipping & stirring half way through. (Check often- One of my cookie sheets cooked the granola much faster that the other.)
P.S. Here's a lovely scene we saw of horses sharing their hay with some elk.