Wednesday, July 17, 2013
Beet Cake Muffins
It's like carrot cake, but beets. My intention was cupcakes, but I think they're better as muffins. I frosted one with Coconut Cream frosting from Elana's Pantry(Which is very yummy), and I preferred it unfrosted. If I do try these as cupcakes again, I'll add coconut sugar. Sugar contributes to a fine cake-like crumb, at least that's what I read somewhere. I love beets and they are so nutritious. So I'm gonna go ahead and say that these are some seriously healthy muffins. Life giving energy muffins. Or cupcakes if that's what you want.
This recipe made 16 small muffins, not 12. Just deal with it. It's extra muffins.
Beet Cake Muffins
2 large beets, roasted (about 1 1/2 cups finely grated)
3/4 cup coconut flour, sifted (or lumps broken up well)
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup loosely packed Dates (I fit 9 large Medjool Dates in a cup)
2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
1 Tablespoon Vanilla extract
3/4 cup Coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 325 and line 2 cupcake pans with 16 liners.
- Roast the beets beforehand. Peel off the skin and shred with a fine grater.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a larger bowl: coconut flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking soda, & salt
- In a food processor, pulse together the dates and maple syrup until it's a paste.
- In the food processor, add the eggs, vanilla and coconut oil and mix well.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Add the grated beets and mix it all up.
- Scoop into muffin liners almost all the way to the top.
- Bake at 325 for about 35 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean and the tops look dry.
Share with your friends while watching National Geographic's Animal Odd Couple because it's beautiful.