Friday, June 7, 2013

Roasted Root Veggies and Broccoli with Goat Cheese




I bet you're wondering how the sugar detox is going. Well..... Some cookies happened. Not the grain-free, honey-sweetened hippie business I make. These were my mom's over-sized, fresh from the oven, double chocolate chip cookies. I had 9. Four at her house. 4 more in the car and 1 before bed. They were so sweet and chocolatey. I felt like I was on drugs. The sugar drug. I'm back on track, for now.
Crossfit was a beat down today. I no longer hate running, but I certainly don't like it. There was lots of running, plus heavy push jerks. My cleans today were so bad. Each time I cleaned the bar, I surprised myself with my miserable form. It was especially bitter since yesterday, my cleans were so lovely.
Enough whining.
I'm currently enjoying one of my summer luxuries, Ellen. I love Ellen! I'm trying not to think about the chocolate chips hidden in the cupboard. Brave is cute as ever and seems to have more energy lately. I've been thoroughly enjoying my baby niece, Selah back in Denver. I think I want one. I used the new vacuum this morning and now my house is super clean. By that I mean, 2 rooms are pretty clean. I see a nap in my very near future. And I'm back from my nap. I'm seriously considering quitting the sugar detox. I feel guilty just saying it, but I might.

Let's talk about roasted veggies. They are delicious. Not as delicious as chocolate cookies. But they also don't make you fell ill and jittery. Roasting brings out such a rich and sometimes sweet flavor. They maintain most of their nutrients that steaming and boiling can take away. Lately I've been roasting mixtures of veggies with goat cheese. I've found that it's best with a mix of sweetish root veggie (beets, sweet potato, carrots) and something like broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans. Both of these combinations below are great, though I think the beets are best.
Roasted Beets and Broccoli or Sweets and Broccoli

Ingredients
2-3 beets (or 1 big sweet potato-don't peel), peeled and chopped into small pieces
1 large head broccoli, broken into small pieces (include some chopped stalk)
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
sea salt and fresh pepper
2 oz. goat cheese (half the usual package) or use all 4 oz. Why not?

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt coconut oil on a baking sheet lined with foil.
2. Toss chopped beets and broccoli in coconut oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes on the middle rack. Toss once, half way through to ensure even cooking.
3. Sprinkle with goat cheese and turn to low broil. Bake for 3-5 minutes more, until cheese is slightly melted and browned.


1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you literally kill fat by eating Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete