Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Thai Green Curry with Shrimp and Butternut Squash

All I want to do is eat a face full of chocolate chips right now.

The sugar detox is not going so well today. Instead of chocolate chips, I've had an entire bag of sweet potato chips, a box of kale chips and some banana with lots and lost of almond butter. All of these items are acceptable within my plan, but not in these quantities. Just trying to get my fix somehow. Plus, 120 sit-ups and my weird crooked, broken tail bone created some serious road rash in an unmentionable place (though I clearly just mentioned it). I hate crossfit right now. 

That was last night. 
This morning, I just wanna sleep/read/watch movies all day. It's this weather. But when Sam comes home from his muddy work day and asks "What'd you do today?", I need a better answer today. Yesterday, I actually took the vacuum out of the box and put it together. I should use it. And do some grad homework. Let's change the subject. Great news, I found my cellphone in the dirt parking lot up at Staunton state park. We went climbing there on Sunday. I put it on my tailgate at the end of the day and that was my last memory of it. I went back Tuesday, and there it was waiting for me. It's broken, I probably ran it over. Though I can't see anything, I can answer it if it rings. 
Here's one triumph recently, Thai Green Curry. It's slightly spicy and uniquely tasty. It's packed full of great-for-you ingredients, like spinach, coconut milk and you get the idea. Just make it.

I love the Whole Foods fish mongers. They are always so patient and helpful. Try to buy responsible seafood: Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Guide

Recipe Variations: I make this with whatever veggies I have on hand. Butternut squash can be subbed for sweet potato. You can use 2 bell peppers or zucchinis, yellow squash, green beans or broccoli. I just try to get a variety of color. The fresh ginger is optional, but so much better with. Finally, you can easily skip roasting the squash/sweet potato. Just add it raw with the coconut milk and simmer for 15-20 minutes. I think roasting it adds a much richer flavor. Plus, I can roast it while I work on everything else, so it's actually faster. Vegans, sub grilled or fried tofu for the shrimp. Cook up some quinoa or wild rice to pair it with. 

Thai Green Curry with Shrimp and Butternut Squash Recipe
Serves 2-4, depending on how much you eat
Ingredients
1 small butternut squash or large sweet potato, peeled and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 small onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, any color, chopped
1 small zucchini squash, chopped
2 large carrots, diced
1 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
3 Tablespoons Green Curry Paste
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon minced ginger (I use a fine grater)
2 Tablespoons coconut oil, divided
1/2 cup packed cilantro
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (the whole 2/3 oz. package)
3 cups packed spinach
1 very small jalapeño, or 1 in. x 2 in. chunk (seeds removed)
1/4 cup water (Use the coconut can
1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined 
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees along with a baking sheet and 1 Tablespoon coconut oil to melt it. Toss chopped butternut squash/sweet potato with melted coconut oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast on the middle rack for 10-15 minutes. 
2. In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil on medium. Add onion, bell pepper, zucchini and carrots. Sauté for 5-7 minutes. 
3. Stir in garlic, ginger and green curry paste and cook 1 minute. Add coconut milk and roasted squash and let simmer on low for 5 minutes. 
4. While that' simmering, use a food processor (or a quality blender) to puree spinach, cilantro, basil, jalapeño and water.
5. Add green puree and shrimp to the large pot and let simmer until all the flavors blend and shrimp are cooked, about 3-5 minutes. 
Enjoy alone or with cooked quinoa or wild rice.

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    This means that you literally burn fat by eating coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete